"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know and holds us responsible to act." Proverbs 24:12

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Half the world lives on less than 2.50 a day

Six months ago if you had asked me if I was rich, I would have said no. We are somewhere between middle class & upper middle class in America. Then I learned about countries like Haiti & Ethiopia. Countries like Burma and Kenya. Third world countries.

I continue to learn about how wealthy we really are. How the simple fact that our basic needs are covered everyday is a blessing when so many don't even have that.

Almost half of the worlds population lives on less than $2.50 a day. 80% of the worlds population lives on less than $10 a day. How do you stretch $3650 dollars over the course of a year? That's about $6000 less than our yearly Meijer grocery bill!

Today over 24,000 children will die. I don't understand how this isn't something our media cares to cover until there is a huge natural disaster.

I'll remember how blessed I am today when I have to take 4 kids to the doctors office for Caleb's breathing tests. Inconvenient? Sure. But my precious Caleb wouldn't be here today if he were born in a 3rd world country. In fact. I probably wouldn't be either.

No comments:

Post a Comment